Animals, just like humans, can suffer from allergies that can occur due to a variety of reasons. As pet owners, watching our furry friend suffer is upsetting. If your cat or dog has allergies, he or she may scratch its skin excessively, which can cause discomfort and lead to further complications. At Valley Animal Hospital in Clifton, NJ, we provide treatment that can reduce symptoms and help keep your pet healthy.
What Is an Allergy?
An allergy is the body’s reaction to the presence of a foreign substance. While the substance is normally harmless, if you have an allergy to any of the substances, it will result in a negative reaction.
What Are Some Causes of Pet Allergies?
There are 3 main causes of pet allergies. These three causes include:
- Fleas: Fleas are tiny parasites that can cause discomfort when they inhabit your pet’s fur. A flea bite can lead to intense scratching and hair loss in your pet.
- Food: Certain proteins in food can trigger a negative reaction in your cat or dog. Proteins that cause allergies are commonly found in chicken, dairy, beef, and wheat.
- Environment: The most common causes of allergies come from the environment. Certain factors like pollen, mold, dust, grass, and weeds can lead to an allergic reaction.
What Are Some Symptoms of An Allergic Reaction in Pets?
Allergies can cause various symptoms, depending on the cause and the individual pet. However, some common symptoms include:
- Skin irritation and swelling
- Excessive shedding
- Red and waxy ears
- Watery eyes
- Runny nose
If you notice any of these symptoms in your pet, contact our veterinarians immediately for care.
Treatment for Pet Allergies
If you suspect your pet has allergies, we recommend visiting our vets for a confirmation and proper treatment. We will perform an exam and allergy testing. The tests may involve drawing blood, scraping the skin, or exposing your pet to an allergen.
Once the root cause of of the allergy is identified, our vets will provide the appropriate pet care with medication, baths, and ointments. We will also provide instructions on how to treat and prevent the allergy at home.
Preventing Allergies in Your Pet
There are some preventative measures that you can take to prevent allergies in your pet. Some of these preventative measures include:
- Regular bathing
- Daily brushing and combing
- Wiping down coats and paws after being outside
- Vitamin supplements
- Washing your pet’s bedding regularly
- Limit outdoor time days when pollen count is high
Contact us for an Appointment Today
If your pet is experiencing allergy symptoms, let our team at Valley Animal Hospital in Clifton, NJ, help. To learn about our treatments or to schedule an appointment, contact our office at (973) 509-5225 today.