Clifton-based Veterinarian Offers Advice on Flea and Tick Prevention
Household pets, mainly dogs and cats, are commonly infested by fleas and ticks, especially during the spring and summer seasons in Clifton, NJ. Fleas and ticks are external parasites that cling to the coat and skin of dogs and cats and can easily go undetected. Many times, pet owners do not know their pets are infested until they show symptoms or fall sick. A veterinarian in Clifton, NJ, can examine your pets for these pesky creatures, treat them, and suggest flea and tick prevention measures.
How Fleas and Ticks Affect Pets
Fleas and ticks are a nuisance for dogs and cats in Clifton, NJ, and may make them sick. Both parasites can attach themselves to these animals and suck their blood. Ticks may cause dogs and cats to become anemic or paralyzed. They also transmit Lyme disease or cause Rocky Mountain spotted fever which can kill pets.
Tips on Flea and Tick Prevention
Your veterinarian in Clifton, NJ may suggest the following tick and flea prevention measures:
- Give pets medication prescribed by a veterinarian, such as fipronil and S-methoprene to kill adult fleas and ticks, their eggs, and larvae.
- Topical medications such as shampoos, sprays, powders, collars, and solutions may be used to get rid of fleas and ticks.
- Be vigilant for signs and symptoms of fleas and ticks. Pets affected by fleas and ticks may move, shake their head or bite, lick or scratch themselves constantly. Fever, pain, loss of appetite and lethargy are other symptoms.
- Inspect the skin and coat regularly paying attention for bumps, patches of hair loss, and bite marks. These indicate the presence of fleas and ticks.
- Comb pets coat regularly using a flea or tick comb.
- Keep pets away from flea and tick prone areas such as wooded or grassy lands or infected soil.
- Thoroughly clean areas where pets live or play indoors and outdoors.
- Treat infected pets immediately and have other pets examined and treated by a veterinarian in Clifton, NJ.
Contact Your Clifton-based Veterinarian Hospital Today to Schedule Your Next Appointment
Prevent flea and tick infestation and keep your pets healthy by visiting Valley Animal Hospital at 1171 Valley Rd Clifton, NJ 07013. Call (973)509-5225 to schedule an appointment. Our expert veterinarian is waiting to care for your pets.