Menu

Location

Call Today:(973) 509-5225

  • Blog >
  • Holiday Household Toxins
RSS Feed

Holiday Household Toxins

The holiday season can be a wonderful time for both you and your pet. However, it’s important to remember the dangers of holiday items around the house. Keeping your pets safe during holidays should be your number one priority. But if you suspect that your pet has ingested something poisonous, don’t hesitate to contact Valley Animal Hospital in Clifton. Here are some essential things to remember during the holidays.  

Common Household Toxins

With Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas around the corner, it’s essential to look at pet health hazards during the holiday seasons. Common plants, decorations, and foods around the holidays can pose serious health risks to your animal.

Holiday Ornaments and Decorations

If you want to decorate your house, be mindful of your pets. Decorations like old-fashioned bubble lights may contain toxins that can harm your pet. If a pet ingests the methylene chloride in these bulbs, they could exhibit symptoms like skin irritation, difficulty breathing, and gastrointestinal problems.  Furthermore, glass ornaments are attractive to pets, but if your pet gets into contact with broken glass, they cause lacerations in the mouth and skin and damage the gastrointestinal tract if ingested.

Alcohol

Most pet owners know that alcohol is bad for pets. However, alcohol can be found in common substances like rum-soaked fruitcake or unbaked dough that contains yeast. If your pet ingests these substances, they could get alcohol poisoning resulting in symptoms like bloated stomach, vomiting, or hyperventilation. If you spot any symptoms of alcohol poisoning in your pet, please schedule an immediate appointment with our veterinary team.

Chocolate

Chocolate might be your favorite treat during Christmas or Halloween. However, chocolate contains theobromine, a chemical that causes vomiting and diarrhea in pets if ingested in small amounts. If your pet takes enormous amounts of chocolate, severe neurological and cardiovascular symptoms may crop up. If you notice any worrying signs synonymous with chocolate ingestion, get in touch with us immediately.

Contact Our Animal Hospital for Quality Pet Care from Our Vets in Clifton, NJ 

If your pet experiences any health-related issues during the holidays, know that our team is here to help. At Valley Animal Hospital, we are committed to providing our patients with the quality veterinary care they need. Contact us at (973) 509-5225 to see how our veterinarians can help you and your pet during this holiday season.

Location

Office Hours

Monday:

8:00 am-7:00 pm

Tuesday:

8:00 am-7:00 pm

Wednesday:

8:00 am-7:00 pm

Thursday:

8:00 am-7:00 pm

Friday:

8:00 am-7:00 pm

Saturday:

8:00 am-1:00 pm

Sunday:

Closed

Testimonials

Read What Our Clients Say

  • "Great care of my cat! All the staff were wonderful to deal with and you can tell they really care and love what they do! Thanks for taking care of us!"
    -anonymous
  • "Dr. Henderson is a caring Vet. We love him.
    We do not, however, love the prices Vets charge. It is more for a pet visit than a human being. I don't know how people with more than one animal afford pet care."
    georgef, Glen Ridge